[RFC] Mechanism for high priority scheduling in amdgpu

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Fri Dec 23 10:54:20 UTC 2016

> But yes, in general you don't want another compositor in the way, so
> we'll be acquiring the HMD display directly, separate from any desktop
> or display server.
Assuming that the the HMD is attached to the rendering device in some
way you have the X server and the Compositor which both try to be DRM
master at the same time.

Please correct me if that was fixed in the meantime, but that sounds
like it will simply not work. Or is this what Andres mention below Dave
is working on ?.

Additional to that a compositor in combination with X is a bit counter
productive when you want to keep the latency low.

E.g. the "normal" flow of a GL or Vulkan surface filled with rendered
data to be displayed is from the Application -> X server -> compositor
-> X server.

The extra step between X server and compositor just means extra latency
and for this use case you probably don't want that.

Targeting something like Wayland and when you need X compatibility
XWayland sounds like the much better idea.

Regards,
Christian.