How free is AMDGPU in regards to out-of-the-box experience?

auspicious at inventati.org auspicious at inventati.org
Tue Jul 19 21:53:01 UTC 2016

Dear mailing list subscribers,

I hope this is the right place to ask because I was unable to find any
other mailing list. Currently I am using an NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti and either
the proprietary driver has to be used to get any 2D / 3D things to work,
like showing the operating system at all, or proprietary firmware has to
be loaded in combination with nouveau (which I have no experience with).

I want an out-of-the-box free software driver experience with no
non-free mess.

Will AMDGPU provide this? Do I need to mess with non-free firmware
stuff? What is the highest end AMD card to combine with AMDGPU? Right
now I am quite comfortable with Debian testing which has Linux kernel
4.6 in use.

I am looking to play modern Valve games at highest performance. Low
settings is usually preferred at 1280x1024. A stable 240+ FPS on games
like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is welcome to prepare for native
240 Hz monitors that are coming out this year.

Sincerely yours,
Fred