[amd-gfx] AMD Carrizo - GPU fault detected: 146 0x0842b714

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 18:29:01 UTC 2016

On 20.06.2016 18:53, Mads wrote:
> On 2016-06-20 18:00, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:
>
>> Okay, so clearly the "main" X server behaves differently from the
>> nested one. That would have been too easy :)
>>
>> Could you please try with Mesa from
>> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~nh/mesa/log/?h=debug-dma (at least the
>> top three commits) and running the X server with the
>> R600_DEBUG=check_vm variable set?
>>
>> That should kill the X server on the first VM fault and result in a
>> file $HOME/ddebug_dump/X_$pid_00000000 that contains the last
>> submitted DMA commands, that should help to figure out what's going on.
>>

> Nice! Applied those three patches to mesa master and rebuilt.
>
>> $ XAUTHORITY=.Xauthority DISPLAY=:0 LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose dolphin
>> libGL: pci id for fd 9: 1002:9874, driver radeonsi
>> libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/radeonsi_dri.so
>> libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
>> dolphin:
>> /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/mesa-9999/work/mesa-9999/src/gallium/drivers/radeonsi/si_debug.c:733:
>> si_vm_fault_occured: Assertion `0' failed.
>> KCrash: Application 'dolphin' crashing...
>> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
>> sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
>> Killed
>
> I also have that R600_DEBUG=check_vm. But, I can't seem to find that
> debug_dump-file anywhere... do I have to create a folder first, or run X
> in a special way?

Unfortunately there seems to be a line in your dmesg that the
Mesa-internal parser didn't understand - that's what the Assertion
message is about, and it's why you don't see any dump files. I've
updated the branch at
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~nh/mesa/log/?h=debug-dma with a patch to
work around this. Please retry with that one.

Also, please make sure that your X server really uses the manually built
version of radeonsi_dri.so and has R600_DEBUG=check_vm set. That
assertion should have taken down your X server before you even had a
chance to start dolphin.

In the end, there should be a dump file created by the X server.

Thanks,
Nicolai