gnome-shell is frozen upon wakeup from DPMS (bisected)

Max Staudt mstaudt at suse.de
Thu Nov 10 17:21:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have bisected a commit in v4.6 that fixes a freeze of the screen on
DPMS sleep:

777e3cbc791f131806d9bf24b3325637c7fc228d drm/radeon: Switch to drm_vblank_on/off

When running 'xset dpms force off' in a GNOME session (I tested this on
openSUSE Leap 42.2), sometimes the screen will freeze, sometimes it will
not. It may take several tries.

When it does freeze, the mouse can still be used, but clicking anything
will (seem to?) have no effect. Typing in an open terminal still works,
albeit the screen will still be frozen. Run "xterm" and the screen will
unfreeze. Running "xlogo" does not unfreeze it.

Can we include the above commit in linux-stable?

I have tested it on v4.4 - it applies cleanly and resolves the issue.

Thanks!

Max