need guidance re amdgpu i2c

Sanford Rockowitz rockowitz at minsoft.com
Tue Sep 13 20:43:31 UTC 2016

aelaric,

I will join the IRC channel.

As to uses that you see for ddctool, the short answer is that it's not
going to be of help (except possibly for underscan).

Now for the long answer.

To address your thought that ddctool might be able to help with monitor
switching and resolution, a bit of background will simplify my
answers.   Forgive me if this is all known.  Monitors provide a set of
controls, referred to as Virtual Control Panel (VCP) Features.  These
are defined in VESA's Monitor Control and Command Set (MCCS)
specification.   Typically, these are communicated between monitor and
host using the DDC/CI protocol on address x37 of the I2C bus.
(Alternatively, the commands may be communicated over USB, but that is
not relevant here.)  Monitors typically implement only a small subset of
defined controls.   There is a range of numbers reserved for
manufacturer specific controls.  ddctool can read and set these, but
doesn't know how to interpret them.

Laptops do not use the I2C bus to communicate VCP features.   The EDID
is typically communicated on address x50 of the I2C bus, but I've yet to
see a laptop where address x37 for DDC/CI is implemented.   So ddctool
can read the laptop monitor's EDID, but that's it.

VCP Feature Code x60 allows for changing the input source on a monitor,
e.g. DVI-1, DVI-2.  But that will not address what you want to do, which
is to change where the laptop directs its output.

As for controlling underscan on an external monitor, there's some hope.
VCP Feature Code xDA (Scan mode) allows for setting Normal Operation,
Underscan, Overscan, or Widescreen.  I believe this is what you are
looking for.  However, this control is not widely implemented.   Of 4
monitors I just checked, none provide this feature.   Generally
specking, if something can be queried or set using the On Screen Display
(OCD) there will also be ability to read and set this value using a VCP
feature, but it may be implemented using a manufacturer specific code.

Regards,
Sanford