Plan: BO move throttling for visible VRAM evictions

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 20:11:45 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 5:24 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> On 30/03/17 07:03 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>> On 25/03/17 01:33 AM, Marek Olšák wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm sharing this idea here, because it's something that has been
>>> decreasing our performance a lot recently, for example:
>>> http://openbenchmarking.org/prospect/1703011-RI-RADEONDIR06/7b7668cfc109d1c3dc27e871c8aea71ca13f23fa
>>
>> The attached proof-of-concept patch (on top of Christian's "CPU mapping
>> of split VRAM buffers" series, ported from radeon) results in 145.05 fps
>> on my Tonga.
>
> I get the same result without my or Christian's patches though, with
> 4.11 based DRM or amd-staging-4.9. So I guess I just can't reproduce the
> problem with this test. Are there any other tests for it?

It's random. Sometimes the benchmark runs OK, other times it's slow.
You can easily see the difference but observing how smooth it is. The
visible VRAM evictions result in constant 100-200ms stalls but not
every frame, which feels like the frame rate is much lower than it
actually is.

Make sure your graphics details are maxed out. The best score I can
get with my rig is 70 fps. (Fiji & Core i5 3570)

Marek