Initial Public Release of AMDGPU debugger

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:39:03 UTC 2017

> We're pleased to announce the initial public release of the AMDGPU User Mode
> Register debugger (umr).  This tool allows privileged users to read and
> write GPU registers in order to diagnose, debug, and aid in development of
> AMDGPU features.  The tool supports a variety of other commands for actions
> such as decoding ring contents, analyzing wavefronts, viewing machine
> status, and more.  It supports SI through VI devices and requires a very
> recent kernel (what will be 4.10).
>

> The tool is released publicly under a MIT open source license and is hosted
> at
>

> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/amd/umr/
>

> We welcome all developers to try it out and submit feedback, suggestions,
> bug reports, and patches to this mailing list.
>

> The project started internally as a debug aid last year and was the driving
> force behind the debugfs changes over the last year.   The tool has matured
> enough that we feel the community will be best served by having access to it
> and after having been granted permission to release it I've squashed most of
> our internal history down to a few commits which are now available to the
> public.
>

> Development of the tool has been alongside the AMD staging 4.9 tree which
> has commits slotted for 4.10 and 4.11.  Most features should work with a 4.9
> vanilla kernel but users are recommended to really use 4.10 or newer
> kernels.   Within reason we will try to accommodate older kernels but it is
> not our primary focus.
>

> Future work will be done through patches submitted to the list to foster
> community involvement.

Hi Tom,

Is there any plans or would it be possible to add some sort of info on what you
are looking at with UMR. Say the GRBM busy states what sort of meaning
can be extracted from the percentage values etc, can you say with how busy
some of the blocks are what should be done next to try and optimise things
or to look for problems etc.

Dave.