Initial Public Release of AMDGPU debugger

Nils Holland nholland at tisys.org
Mon Feb 13 10:00:43 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 06:44:12PM +0000, StDenis, Tom wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> We're pleased to announce the initial public release of the AMDGPU
> User Mode Register debugger (umr).  This tool allows privileged
> users to read and write GPU registers in order to diagnose, debug,
> and aid in development of AMDGPU features.  The tool supports a
> variety of other commands for actions such as decoding ring
> contents, analyzing wavefronts, viewing machine status, and more.
> It supports SI through VI devices and requires a very recent kernel
> (what will be 4.10).

Just a short question: Am I correct in noticing that the tool
currently only supports standalone GPUs and not the APUs, e.g. I have
a:

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
Kabini [Radeon HD 8210]

as part of an AMD E1-2100 APU and the tool tells me:

nils at teela ~ $ umr -c
ERROR: Device 0x9834 not found in UMR device table
ASIC not found (instance=0, did=ffffffff)

I also don't see any reference to kabini in the tool's code, so unless
I'm doing something wrong, this might be expected, right?

Greetings
Nils