Fixing Direct firmware load for amdgpu/polaris12_mc.bin failed with error -2

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.id.au
Fri Jul 21 22:55:57 UTC 2017

On 22/07/17 03:18, Deucher, Alexander wrote:
>> I can confirm that /lib/firmware/amdgpu/polaris12_mc.bin exists.  So I
>> have no idea why I am getting -ENOENT (aka error -2).  If the file isn't
>> to go in /lib/firmware, then where do I put it?
> You need to make sure the firmware is also included in your initrd if you are using one.

Yeah, I don't use an initrd: I find it's too much of a pain to maintain
one (had that situation years ago with a machine that needed one for
software/BIOS RAID), so I ensure the drivers needed for mounting / are
baked into the kernel.

I understand why distributions use them though: they want to make a
kernel that works for possibly thousands of (incompatible) different
configurations.  I just need to make a kernel for my machine, so don't
need the complexity.

I should have mentioned that I wasn't using an initrd, my apologies for
leaving that out. :-)
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...