Various upgrades to umr including VM/MMHUB decoding

Tom St Denis tom.stdenis at amd.com
Mon Jul 24 15:58:26 UTC 2017

On 24/07/17 11:47 AM, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Tom St Denis <tom.stdenis at amd.com> wrote:
>> This patch series reflects a slew of changes that fell out of
>> team meetings with mesa/kmd members over the last week.
>>
>> We remove the "risky" option and the --print command since it's more
>> annoying than helpful.
>>
>> We add the ability to specify the VMID in hex with --vram which
>> is handy with the last patch since you can specify which VM hub to use
>> in hex easier than in decimal.
>>
>> The third patch includes various small cleanups found by static analysis
>> and code review.
>>
>> The last patch includes two new features which were written at the same
>> time and were a bit tricky to separate (more effort than worth).  First,
>> we add the ability to halt waves when reading them which should help
>> reading consistent data.  Next we add the ability to decode multimedia
>> IBs from the UVD/VCN rings.  Next we fix using the 'mmMC_VM_FB_LOCATION'
>> register which was traditionally zero on VI (and below) but now has
>> non-zero values which broke VM decoding.  Tested on Carrizo/Polaris/Raven.
>
> Note that the fb_location is potentially non-0 on all asics going
> forward.  We just leave it as programmed via the vbios now.

umr treated it as zero previously and I was able to read IBs/etc on my
various VI hardware.  In testing the patches this morning I discovered
it didn't work and my offsets were off by a huge margin which aligned
with what I was reading from the register :-).

As of this morning I can read gfx/uvd IBs on VI APU/dGPU and my only AI+
hardware which is an APU.  I assume vega10 will be the same though
hopefully.

If someone with a vega10 could run

umr -O follow_ib,verbose -R vcn_dec[0:79]

(with /dev/fmem or STRICT_MEM disabled...) that could easily confirm if
VMID 0 decodings are working.

Thanks,
Tom