Question about porting VCE1 to amdgpu

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Wed Jun 14 16:37:01 UTC 2017

> - Would we need a different firmware version with a different "hdr"
> for the amdgpu driver?
Yes, we should probably release the latest one instead of reusing the
one used with radeon.

BTW: Does VCE work on CIK? Alex, don't we run into the same issue there
as well?

> - Wouldn't it be better to continue loading the driver while having
> VCE disabled IF we fail when loading or validating the FW? Completely
> failing to load the driver for this reason seems overkill IMO, since
> nothing has been loaded in memory and no registry have been modified
> up to that point.
UVD and VCE are actually needed for correct power management. When the
blocks fail to initialize you usually sooner or later run into problems
with power management (e.g. stuck inside a certain power level).

> - Would it be a good idea to send a patch as a RFC so some of you
> could help me finish the job and maybe pinpoint where the last
> modifications need to be done?
Well you could, but to be honest without AMD releasing new firmware that
is most likely a futile effort.

Regards,
Christian.