Plan: BO move throttling for visible VRAM evictions

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Mon May 15 10:11:58 UTC 2017

On May 15, 2017 4:29 AM, "Michel Dänzer" <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

On 14/05/17 06:31 AM, Marek Olšák wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>
wrote:
>> On 17/04/17 07:58 AM, Marek Olšák wrote:

7b7668cfc109d1c3dc27e871c8aea71ca13f23fa

CPU

>>> I've finally tested latest amd-staging-4.9 and I'm very pleased. For
>>> the first time, the Deus Ex benchmark has almost no hiccups. I've
>>> never seen it so smooth. At one point, the MB/s BO move rate increase
>>> to 200MB/s, stayed there for a couple of seconds, and then it dropped
>>> to 0 again. The frame rate was OK-ish, so I guess the moves didn't
>>> happen all at once. I also tested DiRT Rally and I haven't been able
>>> to reproduce the low FPS with the consistently-high BO move rate that
>>> I saw several months ago.
>>>
>>> We could do some move throttling there for sure, but it's much better
>>> than it ever was.
>>
>> That's great to hear. If you get a chance, it would be interesting if
>> the attached updated patch improves things even more for you. (The patch
>> I attached previously couldn't work as intended, this one at least might
:)

> Frogging101 on IRC noticed that we get a ton of TTM BO moves due to
> visible VRAM thrashing and Michel's patch doesn't help. His kernel is
> up to date with amd-staging. It looks like the only option left is my
> original plan: BO move throttling for visible VRAM by redirecting
> mapped buffers to GTT and not allowing them to go back to VRAM if some
> counter is too high.
>
> Opinions?

I think the next step should be to make radeonsi keep track of how much
VRAM it's trying to use that's expected to be accessed by the CPU, and
to use GTT instead when that exceeds a threshold (probably derived from
vram_vis_size).

That's difficult to estimate. There are apps with 600MB of mapped VRAM and
don't experience any performance issues. And some apps with 300MB of mapped
VRAM do. It only depends on the CPU access pattern, not what radeonsi sees.

Marek