[RFC] Exclusive gpu access for SteamVR usecases

Andres Rodriguez andresx7 at gmail.com
Tue May 30 21:38:05 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-30 11:19 AM, Christian König wrote:
> Looks like a good start, but a few notes in general:
>
> 1. Split the patches into two sets.
>
> One for implementing changing the priorities and one for limiting the
> priorities.

No problem.

> 2. How are the priorities from processes supposed to interact with the
> per context priority?

Do you mean process niceness?

There isn't any relationship between niceness and gpu priority.

Let me know if you meant something different here.

> 3. Thinking more about it we can't limit the minimum priority in the
> scheduler.
>
> For example a low priority job might block resources the high priority
> job needs to run. E.g. VRAM memory.

We avoid deadlocks by making sure that all dependencies of an exclusive
task are also elevated to the same priority as said task. Usermode (the
DRM_MASTER) is responsible to maintain this guarantee. The kernel does
provide an ioctl that makes this task simple,
amdgpu_sched_process_priority_set().

Lets take a look at this issue through three different scenarios.

(i) Job dependencies are all process internal, i.e. multiple contexts in
one process.

This is the trivial case. A call to amdgpu_sched_process_priority_set()
will change the priority of all contexts belonging to a process in lockstep.

Once amdgpu_sched_process_priority_set() returns, it is safe to raise
the minimum priority using amdgpu_sched_min_priority_get(). At this
point we have a guarantee that all contexts belonging to the process
will be in a runnable state, or all the contexts will be in a
not-runnable state. There won't be a mix of runnable and non-runnable
processes.

Getting into that mixed state is what could cause a deadlock, a runnable
context depends on a non-runnable one.

Note: the current patchset needs a fix to provide this guarantee in
multi-gpu systems.

(ii) Job dependencies between two processes.

This case is mentioned separately as it is probably the most common use
case we will encounter for this feature. Most graphics applications
enter producer/consumer relationship with the compositor process (window
swapchain).

In this case the compositor should already have all the information
required to avoid a deadlock. It knows:
   - Itself (as a process)
   - The application process
   - The dependencies between both processes

At this stage it is simple for the compositor to understand that if it
wishes to perform an exclusive mode transition, all dependencies (which
are known) should also be part of the exclusive group.

We should be able to implement this feature without modifying a
game/application.

(iii) Job dependencies between multiple (3+) processes.

This scenario is very uncommon for games. For example, if a game or
application is split into multiple processes. Process A interacts with
the compositor. Process B does some physics/compute calculations and
send the results to Process A.

To support this use case, we would require an interface for the
application to communicate to the compositor its dependencies. I.e.
Process A would say, "Also keep Process B's priority in sync with mine".
This should be a simple bit of plumbing to allow Process A to share an
fd from Process B with the compositor.

B --[pipe_send(fdB)]--> A --[compositor_ext_priority_group_add(fdB)]-->
Compositor

Once the compositor is aware of all of A's dependencies, this can be
handled in the same fashion as (ii).

A special extension would be required for compositor protocols to
communicate the dependencies fd. Applications would also need to be
updated to use this extension.

I think this case would be very uncommon. But it is something that we
would be able to handle if the need would arise.

 > We need something like blocking the submitter instead (bad) or detection
 > of dependencies in the scheduler (good, but tricky to implement).

I definitely agree that detecting dependencies is tricky. Which is why I
prefer an approach where usermode defines the dependencies. It is simple
for both the kernel and usermode to implement.

 > Otherwise we can easily run into a deadlock situation with that approach.

The current API does allow you to deadlock yourself pretty easily if
misused. But so do many other APIs, like having a thread trying to grab
the same lock twice :)

Thanks for the comments,
Andres