[RFC 0/7] UVD support for SI in amdgpu

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 23:54:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Piotr Redlewski <predlewski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following series implements UVD support for SI in amdgpu driver. Code is based
> on CIK's UVD support in amdgpu and SI's UVD support in radeon drivers. To work,
> it requires tahiti uvd firmware with added header - I've created simple script
> to produce exactly this, so if anyone is interested it can be found here:
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6d974a970340f7f64b6fcc4f95267e43
>
> Code is based on amd-staging-drm-next branch in Alex's tree. After applying
> these patches, uvd boots up and seems to work ok. I've tested it with vdpauinfo
> and mpv.
>
> Some comments/issues for the patches:
> 1. To make uvd work, I had to bring back fb location programming. Using location
> programmed by vbios, vram location is not available for uvd mc (at least on my
> machine) due to too wide address. Starting address is 40-bit long for fb, but
> uvd mc supports only 32-bits (judging by comments in amdgpu code and actual code
> in radeon driver)

Something else must be going on.  The vram location is irrelevant with
respect to the limitations of UVD.  I think the limitations with UVD
are more to do with the location of the active buffers relative to
each other rather than the absolute location of some aperture in the
GPU's address space.  CI has the same limitation as I recall so there
is probably a bug somewhere.  Windows has used the fb location as set
by the vbios since evergreen, so it definitely should work.

> 2. I don't know why, but I couldn't get the uvd to boot without setting uvd mc
> offsets before starting other engines. Because of that I set it in .sw_init
> function. In my opinion this should be fixed as it generally doesn't follow
> amdgpu driver architecture (hardware setup during software setup stage) and
> probably will break suspending and resume (I didn't test it). As I mentioned,
> I couldn't figure out why this is happening, so I count on help with finding fix
> for this.
> 3. I found some redefinitions in include/asic_reg/uvd/uvd_4_0_sh_mask.h. I guess
> this file is generated, so fix should be made wherever it is generated from. For
> now I removed offending lines just to silence the compiler warnings.
> 4. I'm not sure whether I choose the right version for the uvd. Existing code in
> si.c suggested that it should be 3.1, however I went with the 4.0, because for
> this version there are available new style headers.

I think the regs are pretty much the same between 3.x and 4.x so it
should be fine.

Alex