[RFC 0/7] UVD support for SI in amdgpu

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Thu Nov 9 12:17:36 UTC 2017

Am 09.11.2017 um 11:53 schrieb Piotr Redlewski:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 11:09:42AM +0100, Christian König wrote:

>>> If this is the case, then there must be something missing in UVD mc controller
>>> programming. When using vbios, I get following location:
>>> amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VRAM: 2048M 0x000000F400000000 - 0x000000F47FFFFFFF (2048M used)
>>>
>>> When UVD bo is created, it starts at address 0xf400243000 and this value is used
>>> for programming UVD mc offsets. Programming is done in the following way:
>>> addr = (adev->uvd.gpu_addr + AMDGPU_UVD_FIRMWARE_OFFSET) >> 3;
>>> WREG32(mmUVD_VCPU_CACHE_OFFSET0, addr);
>>>
>>> Because address of the bo is wider than 32-bit, this won't work. It would be the
>>> same if UVD bo would be created at the beginning of the VRAM.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to handle this?
>> Are you programming UVD_LMI_EXT40_ADDR?
>>
>> But I'm not sure if we ever handled that correctly in the SI code.
> Yes, I do it exactly the same as it is done in radeon (and CIK in amdgpu):
>   /* bits 32-39 */
> addr = (adev->uvd.gpu_addr >> 32) & 0xFF;
> WREG32(mmUVD_LMI_EXT40_ADDR, addr | (0x9 << 16) | (0x1 << 31));

Ok, I've checked the firmware in the meantime and found that we never
released firmware which supports the full 40bit addressing.

That's why this will never work correctly. Going to check if we can get
updated firmware out of the door.

Regards,
Christian.