TDR and VRAM lost handling in KMD:

Haehnle, Nicolai Nicolai.Haehnle at amd.com
Wed Oct 11 08:40:53 UTC 2017

>From a Mesa perspective, this almost all sounds reasonable to me.

On "guilty": "guilty" is a term that's used by APIs (e.g. OpenGL), so it's reasonable to use it. However, it does not make sense to mark idle contexts as "guilty" just because VRAM is lost. VRAM lost is a perfect example where the driver should report context lost to applications with the "innocent" flag for contexts that were idle at the time of reset. The only context(s) that should be reported as "guilty" (or perhaps "unknown" in some cases) are the ones that were executing at the time of reset.

On whether the whole context is marked as guilty from a user space perspective, it would simply be nice for user space to get consistent answers. It would be a bit odd if we could e.g. succeed in submitting an SDMA job after a GFX job was rejected. This would point in favor of marking the entire context as guilty (although that could happen lazily instead of at reset time). On the other hand, if that's too big a burden for the kernel implementation I'm sure we can live without it.

Cheers,

Nicolai