TDR and VRAM lost handling in KMD:

Liu, Monk Monk.Liu at amd.com
Wed Oct 11 09:41:26 UTC 2017

Okay, let me summary our whole idea together and see if it works:

1, For cs_submit, always check vram-lost_counter first and reject the submit (return -ECANCLED to UMD) if ctx->vram_lost_counter != adev->vram_lost_counter. That way the vram lost issue can be handled

2, for cs_submit we still need to check if the incoming context is "AMDGPU_CTX_GUILTY_RESET" or not even if we found ctx->vram_lost_counter == adev->vram_lost_counter, and we can reject the submit
If it is "AMDGPU_CTX_GUILTY_RESET", correct ?

3, in gpu_reset() routine, we only mark the hang job's entity as guilty (so we need to add new member in entity structure), and not kick it out in gpu_reset() stage, but we need to set the context behind this entity as " AMDGPU_CTX_GUILTY_RESET"
  And if reset introduces VRAM LOST, we just update adev->vram_lost_counter, but *don't* change all entity to guilty, so still only the hang job's entity is "guilty"
  After some entity marked as "guilty", we find a way to set the context behind it as AMDGPU_CTX_GUILTY_RESET, because this is U/K interface, we need let UMD can know that this context is wrong.

4, in gpu scheduler's run_job() routine, since it only reads entity, so we skip job scheduling once found the entity is "guilty"

Does above sounds good ?