TDR and VRAM lost handling in KMD (v2)

Nicolai Hähnle nicolai.haehnle at amd.com
Thu Oct 12 08:41:52 UTC 2017

Hi Monk,

Thanks for the summary. Most of it looks good to me, though I can't
speak to all the kernel internals.

Just some comments:

On 12.10.2017 10:03, Liu, Monk wrote:
> lFor cs_submit() IOCTL:
>
> 1.check if current ctx been marked “*guilty*”and return “*ECANCELED*”
>   if so.
>
> 2.set job->*vram_lost_counter* with adev->*vram_lost_counter*, and
> return “*ECANCELED*” if ctx->*vram_lost_counter* !=
> job->*vram_lost_counter* (Christian already submitted this patch)
>
> a)discussion: can we return “ENODEV” if vram_lost_counter mismatch ?
> that way UMD know this context is under “device lost”

My plan for UMD is to always query the VRAM lost counter when any kind
of context lost situation is detected. So cs_submit() should return an
error in this situation, but it could just be ECANCELED. We don't need
to distinguish between different types of errors here.

> lIntroduce a new IOCTL to let UMD query latest adev->*vram_lost_counter*:

Christian already sent a patch for this.

> lFor amdgpu_ctx_query():
>
> n*Don’t update ctx->reset_counter when querying this function, otherwise
> the query result is not consistent *

Hmm. I misremembered part of the spec, see below.

> nSet out->state.reset_status to “AMDGPU_CTX_GUILTY_RESET” if the ctx is
> “*guilty*”, no need to check “ctx->reset_counter”

Agreed.

> nSet out->state.reset_status to “AMDGPU_CTX_INNOCENT_RESET” *if the ctx
> isn’t “guilty” && ctx->reset_counter != adev->reset_counter *

I disagree. The meaning of AMDGPU_CTX_*_RESET should reflect the
corresponding enums in user space APIs. I don't know how it works in
Vulkan, but in OpenGL, returning GL_INNOCENT_CONTEXT_RESET_ARB means
that the context was lost.

However, !guilty && ctx->reset_counter != adev->reset_counter does not
imply that the context was lost.

The way I understand it, we should return AMDGPU_CTX_INNOCENT_RESET if
!guilty && ctx->vram_lost_counter != adev->vram_lost_counter.

As far as I understand it, the case of !guilty && ctx->reset_counter !=
adev->reset_counter && ctx->vram_lost_counter == adev->vram_lost_counter
should return AMDGPU_CTX_NO_RESET, because a GPU reset occurred, but it
didn't affect our context.

I unfortunately noticed another subtlety while re-reading the OpenGL
spec. OpenGL says that the OpenGL context itself does *not* have to be
re-created in order to recover from the reset. Re-creating all objects
in the context is sufficient.

I believe this is the original motivation for why amdgpu_ctx_query()
will reset the ctx->reset_counter.

For Mesa, it's still okay if the kernel keeps blocking submissions as we
can just recreate the kernel context. But OrcaGL is also affected.

Does anybody know off-hand where the relevant parts of the Vulkan spec
are? I didn't actually find anything in a quick search.

[snip]
> For UMD behavior we still have something need to consider:
>
> If MESA creates a new context from an old context (share list?? I’m not
> familiar with UMD , David Mao shall have some discuss on it with
> Nicolai), the new created context’s vram_lost_counter
>
> And reset_counter shall all be ported from that old context , otherwise
> CS_SUBMIT will not block it which isn’t correct

The kernel doesn't have to do anything for this, it is entirely the
UMD's responsibility. All UMD needs from KMD is the function for
querying the vram_lost_counter.

Cheers,
Nicolai