TDR and VRAM lost handling in KMD (v2)

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Thu Oct 12 11:49:54 UTC 2017

Am 12.10.2017 um 13:37 schrieb Liu, Monk:
> Hi team
> Very good, many policy and implement are agreed, looks we only have
> some arguments in amdgpu_ctx_query(), well I also confused with the
> current implement of it, ☹
> First, I want to know if you guys agree that we*don't update
> ctx->reset_counter in amdgpu_ctx_query() *? because I want to make the
> query result always consistent upon a given context,

That sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not sure if it won't break
userspace (I don't think so). Nicolai or Marek need to comment.

> Second, I want to say that for KERNEL, it shouldn't use the term from
> MESA or OGL or VULKAN, e.g. kernel shouldn't use AMDGPU_INNOCENT_RESET
> to map to GL_INNOCENT_RESET_ARB, etc...
> Because that way kernel will be very limited to certain UMD, so I
> suggest we totally re-name the context status, and each UMD has its
> own way to map the kernel context's result to gl-context/vk-context/etc…

Yes, completely agree.

> Kernel should only provide below **FLAG bits** on a given context:
>
>   * Define AMDGPU_CTX_STATE_GUILTY 0x1             //as long as TDR
>     detects a job hang, KMD set the context behind this context as
>     "guilty"
>   * Define AMDGPU_CTX_STATE_VRAMLOST         0x2      //as long as
>     there is a VRAM lost event hit after this context created, we mark
>     this context "VRAM_LOST", so UMD can say that all BO under this
>     context may lost their content, since kernel have no relationship
>     between context and BO so this is UMD's call to judge if a BO
>     considered "VRAM lost" or not.
>   * Define AMDGPU_CTX_STATE_RESET   0x3     //as long as there is a
>     gpu reset occurred after context creation, this flag shall be set

That sounds sane, but unfortunately might not be possible with the
existing IOCTL. Keep in mind that we need to keep backward compatibility
here.

> Sample code:
> Int amdgpu_ctx_query(struct amdgpu_ctx_query_parm * out, …..) {
>         if (ctx- >vram_lost_counter != adev->vram_lost_counter)
>                 out- >status |= AMDGPU_CTX_STATE_VRAM_LOST;
> if (ctx- >reset_counter != adev→reset_counter){
> out- >status |= AMDGPU_CTX_STATE_RESET;
> if (ctx- >guilty == TRUE)
>                         out- >status |= AMDGPU_CTX_STATE_GUILTY;
> }
> return 0;
> }
> For UMD if it found "out.status == 0" means there is no gpu reset even
> occurred, the context is totally regular,
>
>   * *A****new IOCTL added for context:*
>
> Void amdgpu_ctx_reinit(){
>         Ctx→vram_lost_counter = adev→vram_lost_counter;
>         Ctx→reset_counter = adev→reset_counter;
> }

Mhm, is there any advantage to just creating a new context?

Regards,
Christian.