amdgpu: DRI3 with EGL?

Kai Wasserbäch kai at dev.carbon-project.org
Mon Oct 16 15:53:35 UTC 2017

[Please CC me on all replies, I'm not subscribed to amd-gfx.]

Hey,
I'm not sure whether this is a bug or if I'm just missing something. I've got
the following stack (Debian testing as a base):
GPU: Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290] (ChipID = 0x67b1)
Mesa: Git:master/c7a81dcea9
libdrm: 2.4.84-2
LLVM: SVN:trunk/r315850 (6.0 devel)
X.Org: 2:1.19.3-2
Linux: 4.13.7
Firmware (firmware-amd-graphics): 20170823-1
libclc: Git:master/df9db2adca
DDX (xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu): 1.4.0-1

In my xorg.conf I have (and if I read the manpage correctly, the »Option "DRI"
"3"« line shouldn't even be necessary anymore):
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Forced to amdgpu with DRI3"
>         Driver          "amdgpu"
>         Option          "DRI"                   "3"
> EndSection

But when I look at my Xorg.0.log or the output of eglinfo, I see the following
lines:
- Xorg.0.log:	[    15.305] (II) glamor: EGL version 1.5 (DRI2):
- eglinfo:	EGL version string: 1.5 (DRI2)

My understanding was, that amdgpu supports DRI3 for quite some time now and
therefore would expect to see something like "EGL version string: 1.5 (DRI3)".

What am I missing? Is this a configuration I messed up? Is it a bug somewhere
(I'm happy to report it against the right module, just point me in the right
direction)?

Additional notes:
- I checked this occasionally and I never saw DRI3, so I'd say if something is
amiss, it has always been this way
- If you need anything else, let me know.

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Cheers,
Kai