KASAN use-after-free report during piglit run

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Oct 31 17:58:11 UTC 2017

On 25/10/17 05:43 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> KASAN caught another use-after-free on my development machine today, see
> the attached dmesg excerpt. There haven't been any related changes in
> amd-staging-drm-next since yesterday, so maybe userspace is just
> tickling the kernel differently (e.g. piglit runs some more tests in
> parallel now). It's not reproducible every time, but it just happened a
> second time (with an amd-staging-drm-next commit from about a week ago).

I took a closer look, and I think I see what's happening. The
use-after-free happens at:

  reservation_object_wait_timeout_rcu+0xe02/0xe90
  ttm_bo_cleanup_refs_and_unlock+0x271/0x990 [ttm] (ttm_bo.c:530)
  ttm_mem_evict_first+0x263/0x4a0 [ttm]

The memory was freed at:

  [reservation_object_fini]
  ttm_bo_cleanup_refs_and_unlock+0x517/0x990 [ttm] (ttm_bo.c:564)
  ttm_mem_evict_first+0x263/0x4a0 [ttm]

So it's two processes handling the same BO in ttm_mem_evict_first ->
ttm_bo_cleanup_refs_and_unlock. The first one unreserved the BO before
calling reservation_object_wait_timeout_rcu. Meanwhile, the other one
manages to reserve the BO and get all the way to the end of
ttm_bo_cleanup_refs_and_unlock, destroying bo->ttm_resv. Then
reservation_object_wait_timeout_rcu in the first process still accesses
memory which bo->ttm_resv pointed to => boom.