Regressions in amd-staging-4.12 and amd-staging-drm-next

Martin Babutzka martin.babutzka at online.de
Fri Sep 29 17:59:51 UTC 2017

Hello,

At first congrats for submitting the pull request. I hope the dc code
is accepted and included in the 4.15 kernel.

Me and some other users of my kernel builds (https://github.com/M-Bab/l
inux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries) found further regressions in builds based
on amd-staging-4.12 and amd-staging-drm-next. I can confirm these
regressions affecting my PC with R9 380 GPU, running on Xubuntu 17.04
with mesa 17.2 stable:

amd-staging-4.12: When the GPU needs to wake up there is a significant
chance that the display freezes (black screen, login screen or crazy
pattern). Can't tell if the whole system is frozen as well. This can
happen either after wake-up from standby or after resuming from
lockscreen (where the GPU seams to be shut off as well).

amd-staging-drm-next: Considering it is the latest codebase the
performance is a bit underwhelming: It starts with trace messages in
dmesg during boot (attached). Later on running anything graphical
results in full-screen flicker and flickering black lines.

Are these issues known already? I can try to git bisect any of them if
you are interested.
How should dc-kernel users proceed? Is the amd-staging-drm-next the
recommended branch until the dc-code is merged?

Many regards,
Martin