RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Tue Apr 10 15:43:03 UTC 2018

Am 10.04.2018 um 17:35 schrieb Cyr, Aric:
> [...]

Well I strongly disagree on that.

See VDPAU for example:
https://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vdpau/doxygen/html/group___vdp_presentation_queue.html#ga5bd61ca8ef5d1bc54ca6921aa57f835a
> [in]
>
> 	earliest_presentation_time 	The timestamp associated with the
> surface. The presentation queue will not display the surface until the
> presentation queue's current time is at least this value.

Especially video players want an interface where they can specify when
exactly a frame should show up on the display and then get the feedback
when it actually was displayed.

For video games we have a similar situation where a frame is rendered
for a certain world time and in the ideal case we would actually display
the frame at this world time.

I mean we have the guys from Valve on this mailing list so I think we
should just get the feedback from them and see what they prefer.

Regards,
Christian.