RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Cyr, Aric Aric.Cyr at amd.com
Tue Apr 10 17:25:10 UTC 2018

Yes, and that's why you don't want to do it when you have variable refresh.  The hardware in the monitor and GPU will do it for you, so why bother?
The input to their algorithms will be noisy causing worst estimations.  If you just present as fast as you can, it'll just work (within reason).
The majority of gamers want maximum FPS for their games, and there's quite frequently outrage at a particular game when they are limited to something lower that what their monitor could otherwise support (i.e. I don't want my game limited to 30Hz if I have a shiny 144Hz gaming display I paid good money for).   Of course, there's always exceptions... but in our experience those are few and far between.