RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Apr 11 15:45:41 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-10 06:26 PM, Cyr, Aric wrote:> > My guess is they prefer to
“do nothing” and let driver/HW manage it,
> otherwise you exempt all existing games from supporting adaptive sync
> without a rewrite or update.
Nobody is saying adaptive sync should only work with explicit target
presentation times provided by the application. We're just arguing that
target presentation time as a mechanism is superior to target refresh
rate, both for video and game use cases. It also trivially allows
emulating "as early as possible" (target presentation time = 0) and
"fixed refresh rate" (target presentation time = start + i * target
frame duration) behaviour, even transparently for the application.