RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Apr 18 03:58:50 UTC 2018

Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:

> Time-based presentation seems to be the right approach for preventing
> micro-stutter in games as well, Croteam developers have been researching
> this.

Both the Vulkan GOOGLE_display_timing extension and X11 Present
extension offer the ability to specify the desired display time in
seconds.

Similarly, I'd suggest that the min/max display refresh rate values be
advertised as time between frames rather than frames per second.

I'd also encourage using a single unit for all of these values,
preferably nanoseconds. Absolute times should all be referenced to
CLOCK_MONOTONIC.

--
-keith