RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Apr 24 21:57:57 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Harry Wentland <harry.wentland at amd.com> wrote:

> On 2018-04-24 08:09 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:

>>> Are there special CinemaVRR suported monitors? In that case we need to understand how those monitors
>>> advertise the monitor range and if they have a bit in EDID that indicate they are CinemaVRR capable
>>> as opposed to just the Adaptive Sync/VRR.
>>> Harry, if you have one of those monitors, could you send the EDID dump for that?
>>
>> As long as the any multiple of the 24/1.001 refresh rate is within the
>> officially supported refresh range rate this should work out. Maybe we'll
>> end up uploading 2x (to run at ~48Hz), maybe the kernel only uploads at
>> 24Hz. But should all be fine.
>>

> Would kernel driver upload 48Hz when UMD asks for 24Hz or would UMD be expected to submit double frames?
>
> If kernel driver supports frame doubling (like our DC driver) we would probably report half of monitor-reported min-refresh (or rather double of monitor-reported max frame time).

Your driver (amdgpu) already supports frame doubling, except only for
vblank seqno instead of timestamps. Whether VRR can get down to 24Hz
or not is totally irrelevant from userspace's point of view. By
default the kernel is expected to keep display the current frame for
as long as userspace gives it a new one. There's no expectation that
userspace provides a new buffer for every vblank (whether that's a
fixed or variable refresh rate doesn't matter).
-Daniel