[Intel-gfx] RFC: Add write flag to reservation object fences

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Aug 10 09:25:58 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM, Christian König
<christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:
> Am 10.08.2018 um 10:32 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Christian König
>> <christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:

>>> Well I agree that implicit fencing was a bad idea to begin with, but the
>>> solution you guys came up with is not going to work in all cases either.

>>> Well exactly that's the problem.
>>>
>>> I can't pass exactly one explicit fence to the compositor because I have
>>> multiple command submissions which run asynchronously and need to finish
>>> before the compositor can start to use the surface.
>>>
>>> So the whole concept of using a single exclusive fence doesn't work in
>>> the
>>> case of amdgpu. And to be honest I think all drivers with multiple
>>> engines
>>> could benefit of that as well.
>>
>> Fences can be merge. This works, really :-) In amdgpu's implementation
>> of EGL_ANDROID_native_fence_sync you will need to do that before
>> passing the result to the caller.
>
> Yeah, but that is for the userspace API. Not for any internal handling in
> the driver.

dma_fence_array? Or how do you think this fence merging for userspace
is implemented?

The only trouble is that amdgpu doesn't have an explicit hand-over
point in the uapi where an explicitly synced buffer (all of them
really) gets its fences for implicit syncing attached.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation