lock/unlock mismatch in ttm_bo.c

Tom St Denis tom.stdenis at amd.com
Tue Jan 23 19:25:20 UTC 2018

On 22/01/18 01:42 AM, Chunming Zhou wrote:

> On 2018年01月20日 02:23, Tom St Denis wrote:
>> On 19/01/18 01:14 PM, Tom St Denis wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> In the function ttm_bo_cleanup_refs() it seems possible to get to
>>> line 551 without entering the block on 516 which means you'll be
>>> unlocking a mutex that wasn't locked.
>>>
>>> Now it might be that in the course of the API this pattern cannot be
>>> expressed but it's not clear from the function alone that that is the
>>> case.
>>

>> Looking further it seems the behaviour depends on locking in parent
>> callers.  That's kinda a no-no right?  Shouldn't the lock be
>> taken/released in the same function ideally?
> Same feelings
>
> Regards,
> David Zhou

Attached is a patch that addresses this.

I can't see any obvious race in functions that call
ttm_bo_cleanup_refs() between the time they let go of the lock and the
time it's taken again in the call.

Running it on my system doesn't produce anything notable though the
KASAN with DRI_PRIME=1 issue is still there (this patch neither causes
that nor fixes it).

Tom