[RFC] Per file OOM badness

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Tue Jan 30 11:56:10 UTC 2018

Am 30.01.2018 um 12:42 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On 2018-01-30 12:36 PM, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:

>>> Can we just prevent child processes from using their parent's DRM file
>>> descriptors altogether? Allowing it seems like a bad idea all around.
>> Existing protocols pass DRM fds between processes though, don't they?
>>
>> Not child processes perhaps, but special-casing that seems like awful
>> design.
> Fair enough.
>
> Can we disallow passing DRM file descriptors which have any buffers
> allocated? :)

Hehe good point, but I'm sorry I have to ruin that.

The root VM page table is allocated when the DRM file descriptor is
created and we want to account those to whoever uses the file descriptor
as well.

We could now make an exception for the root VM page table to not be
accounted (shouldn't be that much compared to the rest of the VM tree),
but Nicolai is right all those exceptions are just an awful design :)

Looking into the fs layer there actually only seem to be two function
which are involved when a file descriptor is installed/removed from a
process. So we just need to add some callbacks there.

Regards,
Christian.