radeon 0000:1d:00.0: GPU lockup (current fence id 0x00000000010da43f last fence id 0x00000000010da52d on ring 0)

Borislav Petkov bp at alien8.de
Wed Jun 6 09:52:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 10:26:15AM +0200, Christian König wrote:
> Well what did you do to trigger the lockup? Looks like an application send
> something to the hardware to crash the GFX block.

So what I observed was (in that order): machine was building a kernel so
was busy, X didn't respond for a couple of seconds (which it should not
do) and I switched to tty8 to see what dmesg says (I am routing dmesg to
tty8).

At that moment it showed the lockup splat and then X restarted showing
me the login prompt again. I'm guessing the X restart was caused by the
GPU reset.

So if I had to guess, maybe pressing Ctrl+Alt+F8 caused the modeset
change and thus reset? Hmm, this is just me guessing with my
non-knowledge about graphics. :)

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

Good mailing practices for 400: avoid top-posting and trim the reply.