radeon: Force loading with no microcode - will it damage any hardware?

Damien Zammit damien.zammit at gmail.com
Sun May 13 04:22:32 UTC 2018

Can someone with some AMD gpu hardware expertise please advise whether
forcing cards to continue loading regardless if microcode is missing
will do damage to hardware long term, for the cards supported by
'radeon' driver?

I have heard from someone that it might just be for the 3d CP unit only,
which might just disable 3d graphics if the microcode is missing on r600
and rv770.

I want to know if it's okay so we can get basic 2D support in libre
kernels where the microcode is deblobbed, even though I know it's
generally not recommended to omit microcode for all kinds of reasons.

Cheers,
Damien