How to use vce1 in Radeon Pro WX5100

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:24:56 UTC 2018

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 10:51 AM Sunnanyong (Nanyong Sun, Intelligent
Computing Solution Development Dep) <sunnanyong at huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>      I found two vce block under /sys/kernel/debug/dri/1/amdgpu_ring_vce0 & amdgpu_ring_vce1.
>
> when I use ffmpeg to do H.264 encoding , I use “umr –top”  and press “c” to show the VCE loading,  and
>
> I found that only vce0 had loading , and vce1 always be 0%, like this:
>
> VCE Bits:
>
> VCE0 =>     100%   |            VCE1 =>     0 %   |
>
>   So I think vce1 block has never been used, and how to select vce1 to do encode ?

There is only one VCE engine.  The rings are just front ends that feed
the single engine, similar to how there are multiple compute rings
that feed the shader array in the graphics block.  Some asics have a
dual pipe VCE engine.  Still single engine, but higher performance
depending on the workload.  You will only see the VCE1 bit go active
if you have an asic with a dual pipe VCE engine.  I think the WX5100
is a polaris board and they are only single pipe.

Alex