amdgpu: [powerplay] failed to send message 148 ret is 0

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:23:01 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 4:46 PM Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 570 ITX graphics card.
> >
> > On Linux, I get errors "amdgpu: [powerplay] failed to send message 148 ret
> > is 0" and the system is stuck for several seconds when they happen. The
> > card works, except for these errors and occasional delays.
>
> I've found that PP_PCIE_DPM_MASK causes there errors. If I turn this bit
> off in amdgpu.ppfeaturemask, there are no more any errors. (and turning it
> off also fixes hibernation problems)
>
> Should it be turned off automatically in response to these errors?

What platform are you running on?  Are you running in a VM?  The
driver accesses pci config space on the bridge to determine the pcie
gen and lane caps of the platform to determine what clocks and lanes
are valid.  See amdgpu_device_get_pcie_info().  It would be good to
figure out why this is not working on your platform.

Alex