Deadlock on PTEs update for HMM

Felix Kuehling felix.kuehling at amd.com
Thu Dec 5 01:27:27 UTC 2019

[adding the mailing list back]

Christian sent a 3-patch series that I just reviewed and commented on.
That removes the need to lock the page directory reservation for
updating page tables. That solves a part of the problem, but not all of it.

We still need to implement that driver lock for HMM, and add a
vm_resident flag in the vm structure that could be checked in the new
amdgpu_vm_evictable function Christian added. That function still runs
in atomic context (under the ttm_bo_glob.lru_lock spinlock). So we can't
lock a mutex there. But we can use trylock and return "not evictable" if
we fail to take the mutex.

If we take the mutex successfully, we can update the vm_resident flag to
false and allow the eviction.

The rest should work just the way I proposed earlier.

Regards,
   Felix