After Vega 56/64 GPU hang I unable reboot system

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Jan 10 10:38:42 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-10 10:42 a.m., Mikhail Gavrilov wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 13:54, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
>>
>> Assuming that's using DXVK, it could be an issue between DXVK and RADV.
>> I'd start by filing a bug report against RADV.
>
> In the case of the last report, I agree it makes sense.
> But from the beginning I started this discussion because "* ERROR *
> ring gfx timeout" haunts me everywhere. For example I unable to unlock
> computer after night. I connect via SSH and see in kernel log "* ERROR
> * ring gfx timeout". Or another case I watching video on YouTube as
> usual and some times computer are stuck. I again connect via SSH and
> see in log "* ERROR * ring gfx timeout". So i am very tired from this
> error and want really helps to fix it. But I suppose logs from dmesg
> here is helpless.

Kind of; those are generic symptoms of a GPU hang, which can be caused
by many different things across the driver stack. Each separate cause
needs to be investigated separately. Hangs which are consistently
reproducible with certain applications are more likely due to userspace
issues, whereas hangs which occur inconsistently are more likely due to
kernel issues.