HMM related use-after-free with amdgpu

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Jul 17 07:47:02 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-17 12:10 a.m., Kuehling, Felix wrote:
> On 2019-07-16 1:04 p.m., Michel Dänzer wrote:

>>> Not sure, this was all Tested by the AMD team so it should work, I
>>> hope.
>> It can't, due to the issue pointed out by Linus in the "drm pull for
>> 5.3-rc1" thread: DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR still depends on ARCH_HAS_HMM, which
>> no longer exists, so it can't be enabled.
>
> As far as I can tell, Linus fixed this up in his merge commit
> be8454afc50f43016ca8b6130d9673bdd0bd56ec.

Ah! That's the piece I was missing, since I had merged the drm-next
changes before Linus did. Thanks Felix.

Note that AFAICT it was basically luck that Linus noticed this and fixed
it up. It would be better not to push our luck like this. :)

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |              https://www.amd.com