Input lag bug in programs like Blender

Bill Messenger billmess8 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 18:56:23 UTC 2019

On my system, programs like Blender have very noticeable input lag that
makes it hard to use. It happens no matter what Linux distro or
compositor I try. At first the only fix that seemed to work was
installing the proprietary amdgpu-pro drivers on Ubuntu. Running "env
LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 blender" seemed to help, but it still wasn't
perfect.

However, I recently found out how to truly fix it on any distro with
the open source drivers. If I create a file called .drirc in my home
folder with the contents:

<driconf>
  <device>
    <application name="Default">
      <option name="vblank_mode" value="1"/>
    </application>
  </device>
</driconf>

then restart my system, it fixes the issue. I'm not sure what this
does, but it seems like there's some sort of bug here.

I found out about this fix from this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/ajf9uz/how_are_people_dealing_with_and_avoiding_input/

I'm running Manjaro Budgie, and this is the ouput of inxi -Gxx:

Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285/380] vendor: ASUSTeK driver:
amdgpu
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:6939
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.4 driver: amdgpu compositor: budgie-
wm
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing>
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (TONGA DRM 3.27.0
  4.19.28-1-MANJARO LLVM 7.0.1)
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.4 direct render: Yes