GPU passthrough support for Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri May 17 16:59:29 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Micah Morton <mortonm at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 1:39 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Is there any reason running coreboot vs UEFI at host boot would make a
> > > difference? I was running a modified version of coreboot that avoids
> > > doing any GPU initialization in firmware -- so the first POST happens
> > > inside the guest.
> >
> > The GPU on APUs shares a bunch of resources with the CPU.  There are a
> > bunch of blocks which are shared and need to be initialized on both
> > for everything to work properly.
>
> Interesting. So skipping running the vbios in the host and waiting
> until running it for the first time in the guest SeaBIOS is a bad
> idea? Would it be better to let APU+CPU initialize normally in the
> host and then skip trying to run the vbios in guest SeaBIOS and just
> do some kind of reset before the drm driver starts accessing it from
> the guest?

If you let the sbios initialize things, it should work.  The driver
will do the right thing to init the card when it loads whether its
running on bare metal or in a VM.  We've never tested any scenarios
where the GPU on APUs is not handled by the sbios.  Note that the GPU
does not have to be posted per se, it just needs to have been properly
taken into account when the sbios comes up so that shared components
are initialized correctly.  I don't know what your patched system does
or doesn't do with respect to the platform initialization.

> > > Is there anything I need to do to ensure this besides passing '-device
> > > vfio-pci,...,romfile=/path/to/vgarom' to qemu?
> >
> > You need the actual vbios rom image from your system.  The image is
> > board specific.
>
> I should have the correct vbios rom image for my board. I'm extracting
> it from the firmware image (that works for regular graphics init
> without this VM stuff) for the board at build time (rather than
> grabbing it from /sys/devices/pci... at runtime), so it shouldn't be
> modified or corrupted in any way.

The vbios image is patched at boot time by the sbios image for run
time configuration stuff.  For example, some of the pcie lanes are
shared with display lanes and can be used for either display or pcie
add in cards.  The sbios determines this at boot and patches the vbios
display tables so the driver knows that the displays are not
available.  Also things like flat panels on laptops.  OEMs may have
several different flat panel models they use with a particular
platform and the sbios patches the vbios display tables with the
proper parameters for the panel in use.  The sbios also patches tables
related to bandwidth.  E.g., the type and speed and number of channels
of the system ram so that the GPU driver can set proper limits on
things like display modes.  So you need to use the vbios image that is
provided by the sbios at boot.

Alex