Spontaneous reboots when using RX 560

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 19:08:30 UTC 2019

>  From the hardware point of view the only thing which comes to mind is
> that you somehow triggered the ESD protection.
>
> I assume you can rule out an unstable physical connection (because it
> works on windows), so the only thing left is that there is something
> very very badly going wrong with power management.
>
> Have you "tuned" the power tables on the board somehow?

Nope, not at all.

In windows, I actually had noticed that before I had installed the
Asrock utility for the card, it was staying at its lowest clock.
I had the Radeon / AMD drivers installed of course, but not the vendor
tools for the board. Once I installed that, it started automatically
going to higher power state as the load varied. And it's set to the
"default" profile.

On linux I haven't done anything. Just a fresh Ubuntu 19.10 install
with amdgpu loaded. Not sure if I have anything else to do. I'm not
even sure how to monitor the card frequency / voltage on linux.

> Or maybe multiple GPUs connected to the same power supply?

That machine has another GPU, a NVidia one in the first x16 slot. The
Nvidia GPU has a PCIe power connector going to it.
The RX 560 board (
https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Phantom%20Gaming%20Radeon%20RX560%202G/
) doesn't have any additional PCIe power input, so it gets all its
power from the PCIe slot itself.

The PC has a 650W good quality Corsair power supply, and during all
theses tests the NVidia GPU was idle (not even a xserver launched on
it or nothing), and the fan PSU didn't even spin up (it doesn't spin
if power is < 350 W), so I think it has plenty of margin.

Cheers,

    Sylvain