Enabling AMDGPU by default for SI & CIK

Bas Nieuwenhuizen bas at basnieuwenhuizen.nl
Sun Aug 2 23:45:37 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Now that we have recently made some progress on getting feature parity
with the Radeon driver for SI, I'm wondering what it would take to
make AMDGPU the default driver for these generations.

As far as I understand AMDGPU has had these features for CIK for a
while already but it is still not the default driver. What would it
take to make it the default? What is missing and/or broken?

- Bas

(I did some statistics on the Steam Survey, and both SI and CIK have
around 9% marketshare for Linux+ AMD there:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/snippets/1128 Would be cool if we could
enable Vulkan and VR out of the box on these cards)