[amdkfd] where are AQL packets processed after writing the userspace doorbell

Bridgman, John John.Bridgman at amd.com
Tue Dec 22 06:17:23 UTC 2020

[AMD Official Use Only - Internal Distribution Only]

>Hi! I noticed that the AQL packets are more concise compared with PM4 packets. It seemed that AQL packets need more post-processing than PM4 packets.
>I was wondering where the AQL packets are processed, such like calculating the code address using code_entry_offset, resetting packets' headers into INVALID, and writing values to the completion signal when finished.
>Are all these operations done by the firmware?

Yes, these operations are performed entirely by MEC firmware.

There were special cases (eg certain debug scenarios) where we used a "soft AQL" layer in the ROC runtime which interpreted AQL packets and translated them into a series of PM4 packets, but I don't believe that mechanism is used any more. It was never used during normal processing anyways.