writing custom driver for VGA emulation ?

Yusuf Altıparmak yusufalti1997 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 10:22:28 UTC 2020

Hello AMD team;

I have E 9171 GPU and want to use it on a embedded system which has limited
MMIO space on PCIe bus (MAX 512 MB).

I received feedbacks that I can only use VGA emulation with this memory
space. I was unable to get 'amdgpu' driver working with Xorg due to I had
many errors(firmwares are not loading) in each step and tired of solving
them one by one.

I want to write a simple custom driver for this GPU with kernel version
4.19.
Is it possible to print some colors on screen with a custom driver over
PCIe communication ? or writing some words on screen as VGA ?

If answer is yes, then which code pieces (on amdgpu driver folder) or
reference documentation should I use? I have Register Reference Guide.pdf.

I will be appreciated for your guidance.

Best regards.