writing custom driver for VGA emulation ?

Christian König ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 14:19:13 UTC 2020

The problem Yusuf runs into is that his platform has multiple PCIe root
hubs, but only 512MB of MMIO address space. That is not enough to fit
all the BARs of an E9171 into.

But without the BARs neither the VGA emulation nor amdgpu not anything
else will work correctly.

And we already checked, 256MB is unfortunately the minimum you can
resize the VRAM BAR on the E9171 to.

What could maybe work is to trick the upstream bridge of the VGA device
into not routing all the addresses to the BARs and actually use only a
smaller portion of visible VRAM. But that would be highly experimental
and requires a rather big hack into the PCI(e) subsystem in the Linux
kernel.

Regards,
Christian.