gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Fri Feb 28 10:09:39 UTC 2020

On Friday 2020-02-28 08:59, Daniel Stone wrote:

>I believe that in January, we had $2082 of network cost (almost
>entirely egress; ingress is basically free) and $1750 of
>cloud-storage cost (almost all of which was download). That's based
>on 16TB of cloud-storage (CI artifacts, container images, file
>uploads, Git LFS) egress and 17.9TB of other egress (the web service
>itself, repo activity). Projecting that out [×12 for a year] gives
>us roughly $45k of network activity alone,

I had come to a similar conclusion a few years back: It is not very
economic to run ephemereal buildroots (and anything like it) between
two (or more) "significant locations" of which one end is located in
a Large Cloud datacenter like EC2/AWS/etc.

As for such usecases, me and my surrounding peers have used (other)
offerings where there is 50 TB free network/month, and yes that may
have entailed doing more adminning than elsewhere - but an admin
appreciates $2000 a lot more than a corporation, too.