Warning: check cp_fw_version and update it to realize GRBM requires 1-cycle delay in cp firmware

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Mon Jan 6 14:07:57 UTC 2020

Am 06.01.20 um 12:29 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On 2019-12-26 5:53 p.m., Alex Deucher wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 5:11 AM Paul Menzel
>>> Chang, it looks like you added that warning in commit 11c6108934.

>>> Unfortunately, it looks like you did not even check how the warning is
>>> formatted (needless spaces), so I guess this was totally untested. Also,
>>> what is that warning about, and what is the user supposed to do? I am
>>> unable to find `cp_fw_version` in the source code at all.
>>>
>> The code looks fine.  Not sure why it's rendering funny in your log.
>>                 DRM_WARN_ONCE("Warning: check cp_fw_version and update
>> it to realize \
>>                               GRBM requires 1-cycle delay in cp firmware\n");
> Looks like the leading spaces after the backslash are included in the
> string. Something like this should be better:
>
>          DRM_WARN_ONCE("Warning: check cp_fw_version and update "
>                        "GRBM requires 1-cycle delay in cp firmware\n");

Warning and error messages in the kernel should be on a single line if
possible to allow for searching the kernel code for the string of the
message.

I suggest to just shorten the message. Especially it is irrelevant why
the CP firmware is to old, that is debugging info at best. Additional to
that the "Warning:" is superfluous.

Something like DRM_WARN_ONCE("CP firmware version to old, please
update!") should perfectly do it.

Regards,
Christian.