Problem whit Radeon rx 590 makes games crash on Linux

Liu, Zhan Zhan.Liu at amd.com
Tue Jan 7 01:23:13 UTC 2020

Hi there,

Thank you for raising this question. Here are my two cents that came from my own experience:

>From what you mentioned in the community thread, you tried multiple kernel versions on vanilla Manjaro. However, it seems like you didn't upgrade any user-mode driver, and I suspect that's why you encountered so many problems when playing games. If that's the case, you can try install the official AMD RX590 Linux driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-590. I would recommend you use the following installation command: ./amdgpu-pro-install

Another possibility is, your graphics card is experiencing heat throttling under heavy load, and that's also a common reason why graphics cards are struggling a lot on heavy duty games. If that's the case, you can try adding more fans to your desktop.

Also, are you using PCI-e x8 on your motherboard? If that's the case, please switch to PCI-e x16 to solve the bottleneck.

You could also switch to another Linux distribution (e.g. Ubuntu) and give it a try, though I will be a bit surprised if the issue was caused by specific Linux distribution.

Hope that helps. Should you have more questions, please feel free to contact us on the mailing list.

Thanks,
Zhan