Raven: freeze at 'modprobe amdgpu' in early console with android-x86

Mauro Rossi issor.oruam at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 16:13:09 UTC 2020

Hello,
I am having problem to load amdgpu module with Athlon 200GE, on a
motherboard MSI B450M-A Pro Max with latest BIOS and a DVI-D monitor.

The same HW setup  boots Ubuntu 19.10 Gnome Desktop Environment with
APU HW acceleration without any issue.

When issueing the command 'modprobe amdgpu' in early console the
screen just freezes, but I don't see any [drm] amdgpu output on the
screen and the modesetting has clearly failed.

I have tried with kernel 5.3, the same as the one used in Ubuntu
19.10, and replicated the %AMD% kernel config options extracted from
Ubuntu.
I have the same issue also with kernel 5.5rc7 and up to date linux-firmware.

In case you have experienced or know about similar issues,
could you please provide some info/suggestion for me to try to
overcome the problem?

Are there some implicit additional kernel config options required besides
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=m, CONFIG_AMD_DC=y, CONFIG_AMD_DC_DCN1_0=y,

or some undocumented module dependencies, which are mandatory for the
Raven APUs correct detection?

Thanks for any info

Mauro Rossi
android-x86 team volunteer