[pull] amdgpu, amdkfd drm-next-5.8

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu May 14 09:40:41 UTC 2020

Hi Alex,

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 at 22:30, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> UAPI:
> - Add amdgpu UAPI for encrypted GPU memory
>   Used by: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/4401

Did this ever go through uAPI review? It's been pushed to the kernel
before Mesa review was complete. Even then, Mesa only uses it when
behind a magic environment variable, rather than through the EGL
extensions which have been specifically designed for protected content
(EGL_EXT_protected_content, protected_surface, etc). The winsys
usecase was based on a Wayland system which seems like it will only
work when composition bypass is available - not using any of the
Wayland protected-content extensions, and it's completely unclear what
will happen if composition bypass can't actually be achieved.

I don't think this should be landing before all those open questions
have been answered. We're trying to come up with a good and coherent
story for handling protected content, and I'd rather not see AMD
landing its own uAPI which might completely contradict that.

Cheers,
Daniel