amdgpu doesn't do implicit sync, requires drivers to do it in IBs

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Thu May 28 18:12:15 UTC 2020

Am 28.05.20 um 18:06 schrieb Marek Olšák:
> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 10:40 AM Christian König
> <christian.koenig at amd.com <mailto:christian.koenig at amd.com>> wrote:
>
>     Am 28.05.20 um 12:06 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
>     > On 2020-05-28 11:11 a.m., Christian König wrote:
>     >> Well we still need implicit sync [...]
>     > Yeah, this isn't about "we don't want implicit sync", it's about
>     "amdgpu
>     > doesn't ensure later jobs fully see the effects of previous
>     implicitly
>     > synced jobs", requiring userspace to do pessimistic flushing.
>
>     Yes, exactly that.
>
>     For the background: We also do this flushing for explicit syncs. And
>     when this was implemented 2-3 years ago we first did the flushing for
>     implicit sync as well.
>
>     That was immediately reverted and then implemented differently
>     because
>     it caused severe performance problems in some use cases.
>
>     I'm not sure of the root cause of this performance problems. My
>     assumption was always that we then insert to many pipeline syncs, but
>     Marek doesn't seem to think it could be that.
>
>     On the one hand I'm rather keen to remove the extra handling and just
>     always use the explicit handling for everything because it simplifies
>     the kernel code quite a bit. On the other hand I don't want to run
>     into
>     this performance problem again.
>
>     Additional to that what the kernel does is a "full" pipeline sync,
>     e.g.
>     we busy wait for the full hardware pipeline to drain. That might be
>     overkill if you just want to do some flushing so that the next shader
>     sees the stuff written, but I'm not an expert on that.
>

> Do we busy-wait on the CPU or in WAIT_REG_MEM?
>
> WAIT_REG_MEM is what UMDs do and should be faster.

We use WAIT_REG_MEM to wait for an EOP fence value to reach memory.

We use this for a couple of things, especially to make sure that the
hardware is idle before changing VMID to page table associations.

What about your idea of having an extra dw in the shared BOs indicating
that they are flushed?

As far as I understand it an EOS or other event might be sufficient for
the caches as well. And you could insert the WAIT_REG_MEM directly
before the first draw using the texture and not before the whole IB.

Could be that we can optimize this even more than what we do in the kernel.

Christian.